The Campton Church was built in 1857 to serve primarily as a Baptist Church for
the residences of the newly formed community of Campton. It was one of the first
houses of worship in this vicinity. The building served not only as a house of
worship but also as a gathering place for the local community. When the railroad
passed through in 1886 placing depots in the neighboring towns of Lamont and Dundee,
Campton's future became very bleak. The community was gradually consumed by Lamont
and Dundee. In 1894 the church merged with the Free Will Baptist Church in Lamont.
The church remained open for a few years but soon closed. The church stood vacant
for many years falling into a state of disrepair. In August of 1912 the church was
sold to S.L. Platt of Oelwein. Mr. Platt had the building torn down and hauled the
lumber to Oelwein. The land was then given to the Campton Cemetery.